I was chatting with a co-worker today about her experiences with the CGA Programme of Studies. She’s still in the lower level courses (either level 2 or 3) and she wanted to get my perspective on the overall programme – as I am a designated CGA and other silly stuff like that.
I was shocked to hear that the subject exams (ie. Financial Accounting 3, aka FA3, as an example) are worth 60% of the total mark. She had a mid-term assignment and then the remaining assignments all together made up 40% of her overall subject mark. I was shocked at how lax and easy the programme appears to be. When I did my courses, back in the Stone Age, one had to pass the assignments (with an overall minimum average of 65) to “qualify” to write the exam, and the exam itself was 100% of the total course mark. And now there’s group work, where it is no longer the case that you have to depend on your own understanding of the subject matter – it’s all collaborative. One of the reasons I did not do the CMA Strategic Leadership Programme was because of the emphasis on group work — there was no way in hell that I would risk my marks on another twat not doing their portion of the group work. As well, if my former manager at a large Canadian Retailer was anything to go by, it was possible to do the group assignments without actually having to do any accounting/financial analysis — she proof read for spelling & grammar the reports of the other group members and converted their work into PowerPoint slides for their group presentations; not once did this twit do any actual analysis, and yet she got her CMA designation.
But I digress. I think the CGA making it easier to pass a course is symptomatic of the overall approach adults have had with Generation Y (the ones born the late 70s and onwards) — because they have been raised with everything being handed to them on a silver platter, so to speak, it’s hard to keep an association going and injecting fresh blood unless the Study Programme is re-arranged to cater towards Gen Y’s study habits. I still believe it to be shocking that there cannot be the same level of expectation of academic excellence as there was just a few short years ago. It’s a professional programme, it should be difficult and should be designed to weed out those individuals who do not have a true aptitude for accounting & finance.