, , , , , , ,

I was not feeling that great this past Saturday and had some abdominal pain. As my latest stay in the hospital started with abdominal pain I was freaked. I paged Urology and ended up speaking to Dr O’Malley, a first year Resident, who suggested I try some Tylenol. He called 2 hours later to see if it worked and I said no, the pain was still there. It was suggested that I come into ER.

I was also having some problems taking deep breaths. Respirology, Infectious Diseases and Urology all told me when I was being discharged that if there was any slightest change in my condition I was to get myself to ER immediately; and I did so.

It was a 3 hour wait in the waiting room at the ER but eventually I was taken in. While waiting I was taken into an assessment room where 4 vials of blood were taken and an EKG of my heart was done. The heart was fine, my blood pressure was slightly elevated though, pulse was normal for me. When I was taken into a cubicle I was assessed by one of the ER doctors. A urine sample was taken, my bladder was flushed, and a swab of my nose and perineum were taken (cos I had MRSA 1.5yrs ago, and I need to have 3 negative swabs to take me off the MRSA list). It was a case of just waiting to see what the blood work and urinanalysis showed.

The blood work showed that my white blood count is normal, it was 5.3 which is in the lower half of the acceptable range of 4-11; when I was admitted last month my WBC was 15. The urine showed an infection, though for some odd reason the urine coming out of me was clear and pale – so I guess we caught the infection early. An IV was started so that a mega dose of some IV drug could be run into me, and I was given a script for Septra for 14 days.

On Sunday Dr O’Malley rang me from the Urology Ward to check on me, to see if I’m doing okay. I was – the abdominal pain had lessened somewhat.

Today, Monday, I went in for a Cystoscopy and Dr Herschorn found 2 bladder stones. One of the downsides of my surgery a year and a half ago was a greater chance of developing bladder stones – as the mucous (my bladder never grew from my birth, so it was augmented with intestinal material, ergo the mucous which is naturally produced by intestines) if not pee’d or flushed out can accumulate and turn into little stones. I have two, though they are very small. According to Dr Herschorn I would have a local anaesthetic and with the scope they would remove the stones…if it were not possible to remove them a little laser would be used to break them up.